Warm, hearty, and bursting with flavor, Tortilla Soup is a beloved classic that’s perfect for satisfying your appetite and warming your soul. This recipe takes the traditional tortilla soup to the next level, offering a rich and robust flavor profile that’s sure to impress. To make it even more substantial, you can turn this soup into a complete meal by adding cooked vegetarian chicken, such as Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips or Gardein Seasoned Bites. Whether you’re a fan of spicy and smoky flavors or simply looking for a comforting bowl of soup. Let’s dive into the details and learn how to create this delicious Tortilla Soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 7 cups Vegetable Broth
- 12 ounces firm silken tofu, crumbled
- 2 cups tomato, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 small corn tortillas, sliced
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese or vegan cheese, such as Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds
- Sauté Onions and Garlic: In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. Sauté the chopped onion until it becomes just soft, which should take about 3 minutes. Then, add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds to infuse the flavors.
- Combine Ingredients in the Slow Cooker: In your 4-quart slow cooker, bring all the ingredients together, except for the tortillas and cheese. This includes the sautéed onion and garlic mixture, soy sauce, Vegetable Broth, crumbled firm silken tofu, diced tomato, corn kernels, chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, salt, and dried oregano. Give everything a good stir to ensure all the flavors meld together. Cover the slow cooker and cook over low heat for 4 hours.
- Prepare Tortilla Strips: While the soup is cooking, preheat your oven to 450°F. Slice the corn tortillas into thin strips and place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Once done, remove from the oven and set them aside.
- Blend to Perfection: After the soup has cooled slightly, it’s time to create that smooth and velvety texture. You can use an immersion blender directly in the pot or transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender. Blend until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve and Garnish: To serve, ladle the Tortilla Soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with cooked tortilla strips and 1 ounce of shredded cheese. Whether you choose classic Monterey Jack cheese or a vegan alternative like Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds, the cheese adds a delightful creaminess and contrast to the spicy and smoky flavors of the soup.
Chipotle Powder: Chipotle powder, derived from ground chipotle peppers, introduces a smoky spiciness to your dishes. If you don’t have chipotle powder on hand, you can substitute it with cayenne pepper or chili powder to achieve a similar level of heat and smokiness.
This Tortilla Soup is a flavor-packed delight that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re serving it for a casual weeknight dinner or as a comforting choice for gatherings, it’s sure to be a hit. Customize the heat level to your liking and enjoy the bold and enticing taste of this homemade Tortilla Soup. Buen provecho!